Friday, 28 January 2011

Stirring stuff: margarita mix

While I was in the States last year, I posted a great recipe for making a margarita-style drink at home. However, it was time consuming and required a considerable number of limes. While I have been known to pick up a bottle of Jose Cuervo margarita mix in desperation at the supermarket, it is packed full of sugar (not to mention corn syrup) as well as a host of chemical preservatives and colourings. Anything that bright green cannot be natural.

So, imagine my joy when in Waitrose last week I spied a rather upmarket looking mix, made by an American company called Stirrings. It's not cheap (£7.99 for 750ml, what will make about 8 cocktails) and certainly no winner if you're trying to cut out your food air miles. However, it's the best mix I've ever bought in a grocery store, and I have tried a few in my time.
Their simple margarita mix is made from natural ingredients, i.e.real fruit juice and cane sugar. No preservatives, no corn syrup, no artificial colours, and certainly no weird chemical ingredients you can’t pronounce. It's got a great, clean flavour and none of that syrupy sickness you often get with the cheaper mixes. So while you might take Jose Cuervo along to a party, this is definitely one to have at home.
For the complete Stirrings range, see the website. It's jammed pack full of information as well as other bartending products, such as their rimmer cocktail garnishes. The margarita one is a blend of quality salt, cilantro (coriander) and basil. Delicious.....you'll just need a plane ticket to the USA to get one.

1 comment:

  1. Margaritas are my favorite but we never make them because they DO NOT taste like they are from a restaurant! Thank you for sharing this margarita mix.

    ReplyDelete