Tuesday, 8 June 2010

A quick way to cook tamales without steaming

I love tamales but don't have the patience or the time to steam them for an hour plus. I've been searching the internet for a cheat's method of cooking and after trying out various ways, I think I've found one that works. If you follw my recipe for making tamales (or taking the dough from the tamal pie recipe), this should also work for you and you'll have cooked tamales in a fraction of the time.

Place tamale wrapped in clingfilm in the microwave. If you have made them using corn husks, place in a zip-lock bag with a little water. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes. I find this is aedequate for a small tamale (i.e. about 10cm long and 5 cm wide). If you have a bigger tamale and/or the dough looks wet, cook for another 30 seconds or until ready. Leave for 5 minutes before carefully unwrapping and devouring.
Photo credit: Warm 'n fuzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment