Thursday, 8 April 2010

Honey chipotle shrimp and roasted poblano salad


After a couple of days on the road and eating (what felt like) a lot of 'junk' food, I decided to opt for a healthier option for supper last night. I've always wanted to have a go at making tortilla 'bowls' and discovered that these can be baked, rather than fried. Brimming with fresh salad leaves, warm prawns and roasted peppers, our dinner felt very virtuous....and what do to with the bowls afterwards? I would suggest smothering with local desert honey.

Serves 2

Dressing
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp lime
1/2 chipotle in adobo, finely diced
2 tbsp olive oil

300g prawns
Salad leaves of your choice
1/2 poblano pepper (or bell pepper), chargrilled and thinly sliced
2 large tortillas

Snugly place each tortilla in a glass bowl and bake in a low oven for 20 mins. Allow to dry. Place the salad, poblano pepper strips and any other salad ingredients (toasted corn, pinto beans etc.) you like into each bowl.

Pan fry the prawns in a wok and as soon as they turn pink, add the dressing. Give everything a quick stir and tip over the salad. Devour.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! I didn't realize that you can make a tortilla bowl in the oven without having to fry it. That is great news and I can't wait to try this.

    Not sure if you ever tried La Tortilla Factory Low Carb/High Fiber Tortillas. They are only 80cals per tortilla and taste great! They would be a great size to make the tortilla bowl.

    Thanks again for sharing and look forward to reading more.
    bodyhacker.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gained a couple of pounds during my second pregnancy. I'm planning to get back in shape the right way- by eating the right food and of course, daily exercise. I'm searching for healthy yet flavorful recipes, to add to my menu plan. I came across your blog and I like the honey chipotle shrimp and roasted poblano salad which look scrumptious. I better ask my husband to buy clover honey and a bear honey bottle for my eldest child. Although, we still have clover creamed honey in stock, it may not be enough because I am planning to try your recipe next week when my friends come over for lunch. My kid, on the other hand loves the honey breakfast fruit cake that I made yesterday. I guess I'm not the only one with a sweet tooth in the family. Thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the posts....I hope by now you've had a chance to try this out at home - let me know the results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a couple of days on the road and eating (what felt like) a lot of 'junk' food, I decided to opt for a healthier option for supper last night. I've always wanted to have a go at making tortilla 'bowls' and discovered that these can be baked, rather than fried. Brimming with fresh salad leaves, warm prawns and roasted peppers, our dinner felt very virtuous....and what do to with the bowls afterwards? I would suggest smothering with local desert honey.Honey from Spain

    ReplyDelete